Friday, February 13, 2015

Topeka Roadrunners

As a native Topekan who plays hockey, I feel like I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't take some time to talk about the local hockey scene. In this post, I will tell you a little bit about the Topeka Roadrunners.

The Topeka Roadrunners are a junior hockey team that plays in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). They are considered a junior team because the players are not paid, and this in no way is a professional league. The players of this league are generally ages 16 to 21, and are playing to hopefully get noticed by major colleges or pro teams. Many of the Roadrunners players have already committed to play Division 1 college hockey next year, and this is largely because of the attention of college scouts that has come with being a member of the Roadrunners and the NAHL in general.

The Roadrunners play their home games at Landon Arena in the Kansas Expocentre, and they usually have a fairly decent size crowd (they average around 2,000 people). The games are really fun to watch, and it is free for Washburn students to get in with their Washburn ID. So if you are looking for something to do on a Friday or Saturday night, you might check the Roadrunner's schedule (I will post the link for this below), and come out to a game sometime!

http://www.ksexpo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=231

1 comment:

  1. I have been to a few Roadrunner games and I agree with you in that they're really entertaining to watch. I often find myself on my feet cheering or yelling at a bad call the referees made. I really like that the games are free for WU students! When I found out that most of the players were still in high school I was shocked, they looked so much older than that!

    ReplyDelete