Friday, February 27, 2015

Is Fighting Necessary in Hockey?

In the recent years, there has been a huge debate on whether fighting should be a part of hockey. Some people are very passionate about it being part of the game, while some find it too dangerous and unnecessary. I believe that fighting is absolutely necessary in hockey, let me tell you why.

Photo found on Wikimedia


  • One reason I believe fighting is necessary is because I am a smaller guy who scores a lot of goals, so I was always subject to cheap shots from opposing players. Without fighting, there would be no way to stand up for the little guys like me. Cheap shots happen way less in hockey because of fighting. 



  • Another reason, and this kind of goes hand in hand with the first reason, is the fact that way more serious injuries happen due to cheap, dirty hits than hockey fights. Fighting may be a little dangerous, but I believe the sport would be even more dangerous without fighting.



  • The final reason I say that fighting is necessary to the sport is simply the fact that a good fight can get a teams adrenaline pumping and give a team some momentum in the game. Nothing like a good fight to get a team out of a rut.


I get that fighting in hockey can be dangerous, but to me, as well as basically any hockey purist, it is one of the most important parts of a hockey game. Plus, they really are fun to watch!

2 comments:

  1. Fights are the best part of hockey. Plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that you and I share the same view on hockey fights. I find them absolutely entertaining! You mentioned that fighting increases the adrenaline of the team? Well trust me when I say that as a viewer in the stands the fighting gets me super emotive and verbally excited!

    ReplyDelete