Friday, February 20, 2015

Topeka Adult Hockey League

The last thing I will talk about when it comes to the Topeka hockey scene is the Topeka Adult Hockey League, or as it is affectionately called by the participants, Beer League. Beer League is SO much fun. I have played in the league since I aged out of more competitive hockey after high school, so I am currently playing my fourth season in the league. The league ranges from kids around the age of 18 to the wily veterans of the league in their fifties and sixties.

There are six teams in the league: Glory Days, The Office, Tailgator's, Blind Tiger, Bullfrogs, and the sponsorless Seal Team 6. The teams are drafted to be as even as possible. The way this is done, is every player is assigned a rating of A, B, C, or D. A skaters being the most skilled, and so on. I am considered an A skater, and I play for Glory Days.

It is just a rec league, but it is a lot of fun and can get a little competitive. Sometimes tempers flare and things get out of hand, but after the game is over everyone will have a beer and it will all be good again. It would great to have more people come support the league by coming to watch games. They are played at the Kansas Expocentre and it is absolutely free. I will post a link to the schedule below. Thanks for taking the time to read about this league!

Here is the link to the schedule:

http://www.ksexpo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114:adult-hockey-league&catid=38:static&Itemid=252

Here is the league's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/TopekaAdultHockey

1 comment:

  1. The few hockey games that I've gone to in Topeka have been at the Expocentre where I've seen several of these teams play including your team! I have good friends that play for the Bullfrogs and The Office. I really do enjoy the rec league aspect of it but I also hate that because it's rec it doesn't allow fighting. This just bothers me because fighting is the main reason I watch hockey.

    ReplyDelete